- I am overwhelmed at work with stress and I don’t know what to do.
- My spouse and I need a referral for couples counseling.
- I used to only drink occasionally, but now I drink every night.
- I have been managing depression for a while, but I think I need a therapist
- I was arrested for a DUI – I need help getting back on track.
- I am unhappy in my area of practice and I want to talk to someone about a career change.
- I have concerns about a colleague’s wellbeing.
- Our firm/agency/bar association would like to have COLAP present on stress management issues in the workplace.
Lawyers are not immune from the many struggles Americans deal with. Secondary trauma and compassion fatigue from exposure to stressful situations, anxiety, depression, and substance use issues are experienced by the public and lawyers alike. However, because lawyers work with many clients dealing with these issues, they often overlook signs when they themselves need assistance.
Reaching out for free and confidential assistance rather than attempting to “tough it out alone” can prevent negative personal or professional consequences and help build the resiliency needed to thrive in a stressful profession and improve quality of life.